What is Search Engine Optimization?
Pay per click and social media marketing can be costly. Search Engine Optimization is set of procedures and good practices that enable your website to rank high in search engine results. This could generate free traffic to your site. An example of a search engine would be Google or Bing.
A search engine uses a complex algorithm (a very well kept secret) to determine if a website is relevant to a search engine user’s queries.
There are a number of factors that determine the relevance of your website;
- The amount of times a certain keyword appears in your website page
- Amount of good quality relevant links to your website
- Other trusted web pages like blogs and social media platforms need to link back to your site
- The readability and user experience of your website
- Search engines monitor how long users spend on your site. The longer a user spends time engaging with your website, the higher your ranking. You need to ensure that your content is displayed in a very appealing manner and is easy to read.
- Time it takes for your web page to load
- Quick loading pages get higher rankings
- Mobile version
- Your website needs to be easily readable on mobile phones. This is accomplished through a costly separate mobile website or by designing your desktop website to be responsive. Google also favors websites with accelerated mobile pages (AMP)
- End to end encryption
- Having an SSL certificate is also known to boost rankings. Website visitors can browse with an ease of mind knowing that they’re safe.
These are just some of the well known secrets for optimizing your website. The overall focus of optimizing your website should be user experience and relevancy. Keeping to this focus area will ensure that your website does not get blacklisted for black-hat SEO techniques.